Prosper Independent School District is pleased to announce the inaugural class of the Prosper ISD Athletics Hall of Honor. The Hall of Honor is designed to recognize and celebrate those athletes, coaches, supporters and teams who have laid the foundation for what Prosper ISD Athletics is today.
● Prosper ISD Head Baseball Coach Rick Carpenter – Coach Carpenter has been in Prosper ISD for 12 years. During that time, he has coached his teams to a State Championship in 2015 as well as to the Regional Semi-finals four times, Regional Quarterfinals twice and the Area Championship four times prior to the 2019 season. He has been named the District Coach of the Year 19 times in his career as well as Coach of the Year from many other circuits including USA Today, MLB Players, National Federation of High Schools and many others. He has coached 34 professional players including his son Matt Carpenter. Coach Carpenter is a member of the Elkins High School, Franklin High School and Texas High School Baseball Coaches Halls of Fame.
● 1984 State Championship Baseball Team – The 1984 Prosper High School Baseball team was the first team to win a State Championship from Prosper winning the 1A State Championship in 1984 defeating Runge 18-7 and finishing with an overall record of 25-4. The team made three consecutive trips to the State tournament in 1982, 1983 and 1984. All Tournament Team members from Prosper included: Derek Stansell (1B), Roger Ricketts (2B), Jimbo Smotherman (3B), Tim James (SS), Denny Webb (OF), Chris Tolleson (OF), Richard Furr (OF) and Glenn Cashon (DH). The team was coached by Robert Boyd. In addition to the All Tournament Team members, the State Championship team consisted of: Steve Harpole, Scott Bailey, Craig Constant, Mike Standerfer, Daniel Crosswhite, Robbie Butler, Bobby Reneau and Bobby Boyd.
● Jim Hughes – Jim Hughes graduated from Prosper High School in 1951 where he was a four year letterman in Baseball, Basketball and Football where he served as Captain. He attended Sam Houston State University (SHSU) where he was named All Conference leading his team in both baseball and basketball. Mr. Hughes was inducted into the SHSU Hall of Honor in 1991. Mr. Hughes signed a baseball contract with the Detroit Tigers and later scouted for the Mets and the Toronto Blue Jays. A US Army vet, Mr. Hughes is known today as Mr. Prosper where he is a Charter member of the Prosper Historical Society and received the Prosper Founding Heritage Citizenship Award as well as the Community Builder Award from the Masons.
● Donnie Garrett – Donnie Garrett is a 1975 graduate of Prosper High School. While at PHS Mr. Garrett received 16 total letters with four each in
Baseball, Basketball, Football and Track. He was a State Champion Pole
Vaulter in 1972, 1973 and 1974 (the first pole vaulter in Texas to win three
consecutive State Championships in any division) and was the first Prosper
High School individual State Champion. He was also a state qualifier in the
discus in 1975. A utility player in football, Garrett played running back,
quarterback, half-back, defensive tackle and kicker. He was also named to
the 2nd team All District team as a sophomore in Basketball.
● Woody Hamby – Woodrow “Woody” Hamby graduated from Prosper High
School in 1963. Mr. Hamby received four letters each in baseball, football
and basketball and two letters in track. He was a long time holder of the
PHS record in the 100 yard dash with a time of 10.1 seconds. In Football he
was the area scoring leader and was named to the Basketball First team
All-District team. Mr. Hamby received a baseball scholarship to Texas
Christian University and played for the Cincinnati Reds until a career ending injury in 1964.
The Inaugural Class will be introduced during halftime at the first home football game on Friday, August 30th, 2019 at 7:00 pm at the new Children’s Health Stadium at Prosper ISD and then formally inducted into the Hall of Honor at the ceremony on Monday, January 6th, 2020 in the community room of the new Children’s Health Stadium.